Your Garage Door and your Home Security System
A home security system is only as good as its weakest link. If you have the entire house secured but don’t spend time securing your garage door, you’re inviting trouble. Securing your garage door is more than just making sure it’s closed, too. If you don’t have a home security monitor on the door, there are some important steps to take to secure it from break-ins:
- Protect your garage door remote. Don’t leave it in your car, even when you’re away from home. Put it in your purse or pocket. If someone takes your car, they now have a way into your home, as well. Some people may prefer a keychain remote opener that stays with them all of the time.
- Secure the home from the garage. Consider putting a home security system monitor on the door coming into the house from the garage. A deadbolt for that door is a good idea, as well.
- Consider house door security add-ons. For example, there are anti-kick devices that will help to secure the door and keep it from being forced open. Treat that door like any other exterior door.
- Don’t leave the garage door up. This is an invitation for someone to walk past, reach in, and grab something of value. Even if it’s only a power tool, you don’t want to just give it away like that.
- Obscure the garage windows. You can frost the garage windows or cover them up. That way, a burglar doesn’t know whether your car is in the garage or not.
- Lock the throw latch when you’re not at home. You probably don’t need to hassle with this when you’re just away at work for the day, but when you’re out of town you’ll definitely want to padlock the throw latch. If yours doesn’t have a manual lock, you can clamp the sides of the door.
- Keep up maintenance on your garage door. Watch out for signs of corrosion. Regularly check it for damage. Incidentally, you should be doing the same with your other exterior doors. Regularly check your door frames, locks, hinges and other movable parts.
Related posts you may like
- If It Smells Like a Fish: How to Recognize and Report Strange Neighborhood Activity
- Holiday Home Security-5 Things that Attract Christmastime Thieves
- How To Beef Up Home Security And Stop Garage Door Hacking
- Home Security and Toolbox Safety-Securing Your Garage Equipment
- The Most Likely Break-In Spots in Your Home