Secondary Home Security Tips
The best way to protect your home, your family, and your belongings is with a home security system. Home security systems aren’t perfect, and there are ways around some of them. In many cases, a home security system acts as a deterrent, but it won’t stop a home invasion in progress. Still, it’s the fastest and easiest way to reduce the likelihood that a burglar will choose your home.
There are, however, other things you should do in order to protect your home, and they’re not always obvious. Here are some of the things you need to do on top of installing a home security system if you want the highest level of protection and peace of mind:
- Conceal your home security system wiring. Having a home security system that a potential intruder can see is, in some cases, a good thing. It’s often a visual deterrent that will send a would-be thief on his way. Just be sure that the vulnerable parts of your home security system (i.e. the wiring) are hidden away where a criminal can’t get to them and cut them.
- Be diligent about keys. If you lose a house key, replace the locks. It’s not just a good idea; it’s one of the best ways to protect your home. That lost key might very well have fallen behind the couch, but it also might be in the hands of someone who wants to break into your house. Don’t just make another copy; replace the locks.
- Use deadbolts for exterior doors. We’ve talked a great deal on this blog about how deadbolts complement your home security system, so we won’t repeat all of the reasons here. Just keep in mind that many petty thieves can’t get past a deadbolt, and even the experienced ones have a hard time.
- Frost your garage windows. This lets you hide the fact that you’re at home or away. Burglars don’t like to invade homes where there are people present. People turn a quick grab-and-dash into a potentially dangerous situation. Let them think you might be home at any given time.
- Use motion-sensitive lights. Burglars are less likely to try to break into your home if there’s a spotlight shining on them.