If you live in an apartment, your options for home security systems are limited. You’re limited not only by what your landlord says you can and cannot do, you’re also limited by the physical nature of the building. You can’t, for example, put a motion-detector light outside of your front door. Chances are pretty good that the hallway is already illuminated anyways.
One thing you can do, however, is to install a home security camera in your apartment. When you get ready to make that investment, there are some specific things you need to keep in mind:
- Talk to your landlord. Chances are pretty good that your landlord is going to be behind the idea of you putting in a home security camera. In some cases, depending on the exact situation, they may even be willing to subsidize the cost (provided you leave the camera in place once you leave). At the very least, you need to review any applicable rules that might relate to installation of the camera.
- Pick the right location for the camera. You’ll want to consider several factors, including lighting as well as the point of view of the camera. You may wish to consider multiple cameras if your apartment is located on the ground floor, so as to cover each possible point of entry. Even apartments on the second floor may benefit from monitoring potential window exits, as 10’ ladders are quick and easy to scale.
- A wireless home security camera is ideal for an apartment. That way, you don’t have to worry about installing wires, and you can take your home security camera with you if you move in the near future. The key is to pick a camera that has the ability to wirelessly transmit through your apartment’s walls and doors.
- Battery-operated cameras are a good idea. You need your home security camera to function whether or not your building has lost power. It also means you don’t have to install any electrical wiring in the apartment to make the camera work.
- Do your research. Delve into Consumer Reports or some home security system review websites. Figure out which cameras are best for your apartment situation. Choose a manufacturer with a solid reputation.
A home security camera is a wonderful way to add an extra measure of security to your apartment, if you do it the smart way.